This breakfast gnocchi is a fun way to mix up your breakfast! Gnocchi for breakfast? Yes, you read that right! I am totally on the gnocchi train right now and if you haven’t checked out my viral crispy air fryer gnocchi recipe yet, this is your sign! My breakfast gnocchi is pan-fried and this easy and quick recipe is a delicious twist on a classic breakfast hash. It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any time of day. This gnocchi is packed with protein and vegetables and is also super customizable! It can easily be made gluten free and dairy free. Plus, it comes together in about 20 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This breakfast gnocchi is so crispy and delicious!
It’s packed with vegetables and protein.
It comes together in about 20 minutes.
This meal is super kid-friendly!
This breakfast gnocchi is super unique!
It’s so easily customizable and can be made gluten free and dairy free!
This meal is a great way to use up leftover gnocchi.
All you need for this recipe is a pot and a pan.
Gnocchi: This recipe is a great way to use up leftover gnocchi from the night before! Feel free to use any kind of gnocchi here from cauliflower to sweet potato to regular potato gnocchi. If you are gluten free, be sure to use gluten free gnocchi.
Avocado Oil: This is used to cook this breakfast gnocchi! I love using avocado oil because it has a high smoke point.
Vegetables: I used peppers, onion and garlic in this breakfast gnocchi. Feel free to use any veggies you desire! Using frozen peppers is a great hack to make this meal come together more quickly for a busy morning.
Sausages: Adding sausages to this meal provides extra protein. My favorite brand is Bilinski’s because they use great ingredients!
Egg: Fried eggs add a crispy texture and richness to this dish! If you are not able to tolerate eggs, feel free to omit them.
Step 1: Gather your ingredients.
Step 2: Add oil to a pan. Sauté onion and then garlic in a pan until browned. Add in peppers and sausages.
Step 3: While sausages and peppers are cooking, boil water in a pan and add gnocchi. Follow instructions on the package.
Step 4: Once sausages and veggies are beginning to brown, add in gnocchi.
Step 5: Cook eggs separately or make two holes in the hash and crack eggs into the holes. Cook eggs to desired doneness.
Step 6: Add toppings (if desired) and enjoy!
Variations and Toppings
- Add different vegetables: In addition to peppers and onions, you can also add other vegetables to your breakfast gnocchi hash, such as mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach or kale. Try topping your breakfast gnocchi with microgreens as well!
- Use different meats: Instead of sausage, you can also use bacon, chorizo or ham in your breakfast gnocchi hash.
- Add cheese: For a richer and more flavorful breakfast gnocchi, add some grated parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese on top (dairy free if needed).
- Add herbs and spices: To add some more flavor to your breakfast gnocchi, try adding some herbs and spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning or red pepper flakes.
- Use a different sauce: Instead of serving your breakfast gnocchi hash with just the pan drippings, you can also serve it with a different sauce, such as marinara sauce, pesto, salsa or Alfredo sauce.
- Make it sweet: For a sweeter variation of breakfast gnocchi, try adding some fruit to the hash, such as berries, apples or bananas. You can also top the hash with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
To store breakfast gnocchi, you can either refrigerate it or freeze it.
To refrigerate breakfast gnocchi, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you are ready to reheat the gnocchi, simply pan-fry it in a small amount of oil until heated through.
To freeze breakfast gnocchi, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze it for 1-2 hours, or until solid. Once the gnocchi is frozen, transfer it to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you are ready to reheat the gnocchi, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 1-2 hours. You can then pan-fry it in a small amount of oil until heated through.
What does gnocchi go well with?
Gnocchi is a versatile dish that goes well with many different foods and toppings! I love pairing it with sausage and vegetables, like this breakfast gnocchi does.
Is it better to pan fry or boil gnocchi?
I honestly like it both ways! It all depends on your preference. Pan frying gnocchi will make it crispier while just boiling it will make it softer and pillowy.
What kind of sauce goes with gnocchi?
Gnocchi can be paired with many different sauces. Some ideas are marinara, pesto or cream sauce!
Can I make this gluten free and dairy free?
Yes! This recipe can be made gluten free and dairy free by using gnocchi that is gluten free and dairy free.
Be sure to try out these breakfast ideas next:
- 1 pot
- 1 pan
- 1 package gnocchi
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 sausages
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 1/2 cups peppers, chopped using frozen peppers is a great timesaver!
- 2 eggs
- dash salt
- Gather your ingredients.
- Add oil to a pan. Sauté onion and then garlic in a pan until browned. Add in peppers and sausages.
- While sausages and peppers are cooking, boil water in a pan and add gnocchi. Follow instructions on the package.
- Once sausages and veggies are beginning to brown, add in gnocchi.
- Cook eggs separately or make two holes in the hash and crack eggs into the holes. Cook eggs to desired doneness.
- Add toppings (if desired) and enjoy!