This vegan french toast bake is a delicious and decadent breakfast or brunch option that you can prep the night before! It’s made with all the classic flavors of traditional French toast, including a crunchy topping, but it’s completely dairy free and vegan. It is also packed with antioxidants from the berries. It’s perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch and it’s sure to impress your guests!
Why You’ll Love This French Toast Bake
It’s easy to make. You just throw all of the ingredients in a baking dish!
It’s made with all the classic flavors of traditional French toast, but it’s completely dairy free and vegan.
It’s easy to make ahead of time, so you can enjoy a delicious breakfast or brunch without any fuss in the morning.
This vegan french toast bake is rich and decadent.
It’s perfect for any occasion, from a casual weekend brunch to a fancy holiday meal.
This french toast bake is kid-friendly!
This breakfast is easily customizable.
All you need to make this vegan french toast bake is an 8×8 baking dish and a bowl.
Bread: Bread is an essential ingredient in this recipe and using day-old bread is the best way to ensure a delicious and successful bake. Day-old bread has had a chance to dry out slightly, which makes it more absorbent and less likely to become soggy when soaked in the custard batter. I used gluten free bread because I am gluten free!
Flaxseed: Flaxseed is a great ingredient to use in a vegan French toast bake. It is a good source of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed also has a binding effect, which can help to thicken the custard batter and prevent the bread from becoming soggy.
Sugar: Sugar is an important ingredient in French toast bake. It adds sweetness, richness, and flavor to the dish. It helps to caramelize the bread, creating a delicious and crispy crust. Coconut sugar is a good choice for French toast bake because it has a slightly nutty and caramel flavor that complements the other flavors in the dish.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a popular spice that is often used in french toast bakes. It adds a warm, sweet, and spicy flavor to the dish.
Coconut Milk: Coconut milk adds a rich and creamy flavor to this vegan french toast bake.
Berries: Berries are a delicious and nutritious addition to French toast bake. They add sweetness, tartness, and flavor to the dish. Berries also have a number of health benefits!
Vanilla: Vanilla adds a sweet, creamy, and floral flavor to French toast bake. It also helps to enhance the other flavors in the dish.
Pecans: Pecans have a nutty, buttery and slightly sweet flavor that complements the other flavors in French toast bake. They also add a crunch!
Step 1: Gather your ingredients and preheat oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Combine coconut milk, flaxseed, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
Step 3: Rip bread into pieces and put into baking dish.
Step 4: Pour mixture oven bread and add berries. Sprinkle on the pecans.
Step 5: Bake for 45 minutes and enjoy!!
To store vegan french toast bake, simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the bake for up to 2 months. To reheat, simply thaw the bake overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature. Then, bake it in a preheated oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
How To Serve
Here are some ideas on how to serve vegan french toast bake:
- With fresh fruit: Top your bake with fresh berries, sliced bananas, or diced apples for a sweet and refreshing side.
- With maple syrup or agave nectar: Drizzle your bake with maple syrup or agave nectar for a classic breakfast topping.
- With vegan whipped cream: Dollop your bake with vegan whipped cream for a decadent and creamy treat.
- With a side of roasted potatoes or home fries: For a more filling breakfast, serve your bake with a side of roasted potatoes or home fries.
- With a side of yogurt or oatmeal: Serve your bake with a side of yogurt or oatmeal.
Here are some ideas for vegan french toast bake variations:
- Fruit and nut bake: Add your favorite chopped fruits and nuts to the custard batter before baking. Try blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, walnuts, almonds, or pecans.
- Chocolate chip bake: Add chocolate chips to the custard batter before baking. For a richer chocolate flavor, use dark chocolate chips.
- Pumpkin spice bake: Add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and maple syrup to the custard batter before baking.
- Apple cinnamon bake: Add chopped apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the custard batter before baking.
- Blueberry lemon bake: Add blueberries, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the custard batter before baking.
- Peanut butter and banana bake: Spread peanut butter on the bread cubes before pouring the custard batter over them. Top with sliced bananas before baking.
- S’mores bake: Spread chocolate hazelnut spread on the bread cubes before pouring the custard batter over them. Top with marshmallows before baking.
This vegan french toast bake is delicious with so many different toppings. Try using fresh fruits, nuts and seeds, vegan whipped cream, vegan chocolate chips, maple syrup, nut butter, vegan caramel sauce or coconut flakes!
Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes! Feel free to assemble this french toast bake and leave it in the fridge before baking it. When you are ready to make it, take it out, let it come to room temperature and then bake it for 45 minutes.
Can this recipe be made nut free?
Yes! Feel free to omit the pecans to make this nut free. Also, ensure that the bread you are using is nut free.
Can I use something instead of pecans?
Feel free to use any nut you would like! Try out walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds!
How can I make this vegan french toast casserole gluten free?
This vegan french toast bake can be made gluten free by using gluten free bread!
What can you use instead of milk in french toast?
Coconut milk is a great swap for milk and what I used in this recipe!
Be sure to try these breakfast ideas next:
Vegan French Toast Bake
- 1 baking dish 8×8
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 loaf bread I used cinnamon bread
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- Gather your ingredients and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine coconut milk, flaxseed, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Rip bread into pieces and put into baking dish.
- Pour mixture oven bread and add berries. Sprinkle on the pecans.
- Bake for 45 minutes and enjoy!!