If you’re looking for a delicious and easy chili recipe that’s perfect for a cold day this tomato free chili recipe will be your new go-to! This chili is packed with flavor and nutrients and it’s gluten free, paleo, Whole30, dairy free, nightshade free and also made without beans! It can easily be made vegan or vegetarian as well. You won’t even miss the tomatoes in this chili! It’s loaded with colorful vegetables, tender beef and super flavorful. This chili is sure to be a hit with your whole family and it’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold fall or winter day.
Why You’ll Love This Tomato Free Chili
This chili is an easy meal to throw in a pot for a weeknight dinner!
It is perfect for people who have allergies or sensitivities to tomato or for people who just want to switch it up!
This chili is packed with flavor, tender beef and colorful veggies!
It is a classic dish that your whole family will love.
This chili is a hearty, cozy and filling meal.
It is naturally gluten free, dairy free and nightshade free!
You won’t even miss the tomatoes in this chili.
Why People Might Avoid Tomatoes
There are a number of reasons why people might avoid tomatoes. Some people are intolerant to histamine, a chemical that is found in tomatoes. Others may experience heartburn and reflux after eating tomatoes. And still others may be sensitive to nightshades, the family of plants to which tomatoes belong.
If you are experiencing any adverse symptoms after eating tomatoes, it is important to talk to your doctor. They can help you to determine if you have a tomato intolerance or sensitivity, and they can recommend ways to manage your symptoms.
Histamine is a chemical that is produced by the body in response to allergens. It is also found in some foods, including tomatoes. People with histamine intolerance may experience a variety of symptoms after eating tomatoes, such as hives, itching, flushing, swelling, headaches, and diarrhea.
Histamine intolerance is a relatively common condition, affecting up to 15% of the population. It is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Heartburn is a burning pain in the chest that is caused by stomach acid backing up into the esophagus. Reflux is a medical condition in which stomach acid backs up into the esophagus on a regular basis.
Tomatoes are acidic, and they can relax the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle that separates the stomach from the esophagus. This can allow stomach acid to back up into the esophagus, causing heartburn and reflux.
Tomatoes are a member of the nightshade family of plants. Other nightshade vegetables include potatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Some people find that they are sensitive to nightshades and experience symptoms such as inflammation, joint pain, and digestive problems after eating them.
The reason why some people are sensitive to nightshades is not fully understood. However, it is thought that the alkaloids in nightshades may be responsible. Alkaloids are chemical compounds that can have a variety of effects on the body, including inflammation and digestive problems.
All you need to make this recipe is a pan, pot, cutting board and knife. I really love my Caraway pans because they are non-toxic and so pretty! They are also easy to cook with.
Garlic: Garlic is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, and copper. It is also a good source of antioxidants. Garlic is a delicious way to add flavor to this tomato free chili!
Onion: I prefer to use sweet onion in my chili! Sweet onions are a type of onion that is known for its mild and sweet flavor. They are a good source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Sweet onions are a versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used to add flavor to chili!
Ground Beef: Ground beef is a popular ingredient in many dishes, including chili. It is a good source of protein, iron, and zinc. Ground beef adds a rich and meaty flavor to chili. It also helps to thicken the chili and make it more filling. When choosing ground beef for chili, it is important to select a lean variety. This will help to reduce the fat content of the chili. I like to use high-quality and organic meat whenever I can. My favorite place to get my meat is Butcher Box because they have organic and high-quality options and it gets delivered right to your door!
Beet: Beets are a delicious and nutritious vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes, including chili. Beets are a good source of fiber, minerals and vitamins. They also contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. I used grated beets in this recipe to ensure that they cook fully. Beets add a sweet and earthy flavor to this chili. They also help to thicken the chili and make it more filling.
Carrots: Carrots are a popular and versatile root vegetable that is known for its sweet flavor and crunchy texture. They are also a good source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Carrots are a good source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as potassium and fiber. Carrots contain antioxidants that can help to protect the body from damage. They are a good source of beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Carrots add a sweet and earthy flavor to recipes. They also add a bit of crunch and texture.
Zucchini: Zucchini is a summer squash that is related to cucumber. It is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Zucchini is low in calories and fat. It is a good source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as folate, potassium, and manganese. Zucchini adds a mild and slightly sweet flavor to recipes.
Broth: Broth is a liquid made by simmering bones, meat, or vegetables in water. Broth is a good source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue. Broth contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium. These minerals are important for many bodily functions, including bone health, muscle function, and fluid balance. I used a chicken broth for the base of this chili, but feel free to use any kind of broth you desire! If you have histamine issues, it is recommended to use a homemade broth. If not, bone broth can add lots of nutrient-density to this recipe!
Avocado Oil: I love using avocado oil because it has a high smoke point. I use this to grease the pot and pan before cooking!
Spices: I love adding spices to my chili to give it extra flavor! Adding chili powder is a great way to make your chili taste delicious. Chili powder is a blend of spices that typically includes chili peppers, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano. It is a convenient way to add a lot of flavor to your chili. Cumin is a warm and earthy spice that is essential for chili. It has a nutty flavor that pairs well with the other spices in chili. Garlic powder adds a savory flavor to chili. It is also a good source of antioxidants. Onion powder adds a sweet and oniony flavor to chili. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals. Oregano is a herbaceous spice that adds a bit of sweetness to chili. It is also a good source of antioxidants.
Step 1: Gather your ingredients.
Step 2: Chop onions and mince garlic. Heat the avocado oil in the pot and add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute over low-med heat until lightly browned.
Step 3: Grate the beets and chop the carrots and zucchini. Add to the pot along with spices.
Step 4: Lightly cook the vegetables. Add avocado oil into the pan and cook ground beef over med heat until browned. Add into chili along with broth.
Step 5: Let chili simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy! Top with garnishes of your choice!
To store chili, you can either refrigerate it or freeze it. Transfer the chili to an airtight container. Let the chili cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator. Chili can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To freeze chili, transfer the chili to a freezer-safe container. Leave about 1 inch of headspace at the top of the container to allow for expansion. Label the container with the date and contents. Chili can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
If you are reheating chili from the refrigerator, you can simply heat it up in a pot over medium heat until it is warmed through. If you are reheating chili from the freezer, you can thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or you can thaw it in the microwave. Once the chili is thawed, heat it up in a pot over medium heat until it is warmed through.
This chili recipe is super adaptable! There are several variations that can be made.
To make it vegetarian or vegan: To make vegetarian chili, simply omit the ground beef and add additional vegetables. You can also add a meat substitute, such as tofu or tempeh or add beans for extra protein.
Add additional vegetables: Feel free to add additional vegetables to this chili like beans, corn, celery, bell peppers or sweet potatoes. The options are endless!
Swap out the meat: If you are not a fan of ground beef or don’t have any on hand, simply swap it out for ground turkey or ground chicken.
There are many different garnishes that you can use for chili. Here is a list of some popular options:
- Shredded cheese: Shredded cheese is a classic chili garnish that adds flavor and creaminess to the dish. Some popular types of cheese to use in chili include cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and pepper Jack cheese.
- Sour cream: Sour cream adds a tangy and creamy flavor to chili. It also helps to cool down the chili.
- Avocado: Avocado adds a rich and creamy flavor to chili. It is also a good source of healthy fats and nutrients.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is a delicious and nutritious avocado-based dip that can be used as a garnish for chili.
- Salsa: Salsa adds a bit of heat and flavor to chili. You can use any type of salsa that you like, such as mild salsa, medium salsa, or hot salsa.
- Chopped fresh cilantro: Chopped fresh cilantro adds a bright and herbaceous flavor to chili.
- Jalapeño peppers: Jalapeño peppers add heat and flavor to chili. You can slice the jalapeños thinly or dice them into small pieces, depending on how hot you want your chili to be.
- Tortilla chips: Tortilla chips can be used as a scoop for chili or they can be crumbled on top of the chili.
- Cornbread: Cornbread is a classic chili accompaniment. It can be served on the side or crumbled on top of the chili.
- Oyster crackers: Oyster crackers are a popular chili garnish that adds a bit of crunch to the dish.
- Fritos: Fritos are a type of corn chip that can be used as a garnish for chili. They add a bit of saltiness and crunch to the dish.
You can also use other garnishes for your chili, such as chopped red onions, chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, or chopped black olives. Get creative and experiment with different garnishes to create your own unique chili presentation!
Here are some tips for garnishing chili:
- Add the garnishes to the chili just before serving. This will help to keep the garnishes fresh and looking their best.
- If you are adding a lot of garnishes to your chili, you may want to serve the chili in individual bowls so that there is enough room for all of the toppings.
- Get creative and experiment with different garnishes to create your own unique chili presentation!
What to Serve With This Chili
Chili is a hearty and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed on its own. However, there are many delicious side dishes that can be served with chili to enhance the meal. Here are a few ideas:
- Cornbread: Cornbread is a classic chili accompaniment. It can be served on the side or crumbled on top of the chili.
- Rice: Rice is a versatile side dish that can be served with a variety of dishes, including chili. It helps to absorb the flavors of the chili and adds a bit of starch to the meal.
- Baked potatoes: Baked potatoes are a hearty and filling side dish that can be served with chili. They can be topped with butter, sour cream, cheese, and other toppings.
- Salad: A salad is a refreshing side dish that can help to balance out the richness of the chili. It also adds vitamins and minerals to the meal.
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread is a delicious and easy-to-make side dish that can be served with chili. It is simply bread that has been toasted and topped with butter and garlic.
- Quesadillas: Quesadillas are a Mexican-inspired side dish that can be served with chili. They are made with tortillas that are filled with cheese and other ingredients, such as chicken, beef or beans.
- Sour cream: Sour cream is a tangy and creamy condiment that can be served on the side of chili or added to the top of the chili. It helps to cool down the chili and adds a bit of creaminess.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is a delicious and nutritious avocado-based dip that can be served on the side of chili or added to the top of the chili. It adds a rich and creamy flavor to the dish.
- Salsa: Salsa is a Mexican-inspired condiment that can be served on the side of chili or added to the top of the chili. It adds a bit of heat and flavor to the dish.
Is this chili spicy?
This chili is not super spicy. If you would like to add more of a kick, feel free to add additional chili power or even hot sauce.
What makes a good substitute for tomatoes in chili?
You don’t necessarily need a substitute for tomatoes in chili. Adding other vegetables can make a delicious chili without the need for any tomato!
Can I make this chili in the crockpot?
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe in the crockpot. Simply throw the ingredients in the crockpot instead of a pot.
Be sure to try these delicious dinner recipes next:
Tomato Free Chili
- 1 pot
- 1 pan
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 package ground beef
- 1 red beet
- 7 carrots
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 carton broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Gather your ingredients.
- Chop onions and mince garlic. Heat the avocado oil in the pot and add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute over low-med heat until lightly browned.
- Grate the beets and chop the carrots and zucchini. Add to the pot along with spices.
- Lightly cook the vegetables. Add avocado oil into the pan and cook ground beef over med heat until browned. Add into chili along with broth.
- Let chili simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy! Top with garnishes of your choice!